Thursday 23 August 2012

NOAH & THE WHALE- LAST NIGHT ON EARTH

I like this album. Apparently the band come out of a wave of, what the young people refer to as, "Nu Folk". There's not much trace of folk here though, not to me anyway. Lyrically the subjects seem quite traditional "Rock & Roll" territory i.e. romances about leaving small towns, moving to brighter futures and the failures or success that they can bring or nostalgia for those small towns or childhood days. I particularly like the song Give It All Back. A song about being in your first band as a kid. My one gripe actually relates to the singer's voice. The accent of popular culture, especially music, is American so to find someone putting on an American accent is nothing new. However, I just find this singers attempts particularly fake sounding.

In terms the the albums' overall place in my collection, I suspect that this will be something I play occasionally rather than reaching for it on a regular basis. It's certainly not one that I regret buying and I have enjoyed getting to know it a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment