Thursday 6 September 2012

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

Are there times when something in your music collection causes you to inhale sharply and wonder whether the gods of musical appreciation are having a laugh at your expense? Well, for me, today is one of those days. 

Having listened to this properly, there's less to it than meets the ear, from my perspective anyway. There's a couple of "catchy" tracks such as "Roll Away You Stone" but there's also something strangely irritating about the whole thing. After the first three or four songs I found myself waiting impatiently to get to the end and it was quite a relief to get there.

I consider this to be the "First Mrs Rochester" of my recent collection. It's going to get locked away in the attic and fed on a diet of rotten fish, mind you it'll have to fight for it with the first (only?) Transvision Vamp and Mansun albums which were also locked away up there in years gone by.

I think I'll put this down to a momentary aberration caused by a combination too many vouchers and too easy access via the net.

 In the days before downloading or, more generally, buying off the net, I doubt I would have made the effort to go out and buy this. In those days,  getting music involved a trip into town to Woolies or, for something outside the top 40, a trip of about 20 miles to the nearest HMV/Our Price/Independent record shop (the last independent record shop here closed, I think in the early 80s). As a consequence you had to think about stuff before you bought it. Now the careless click of a mouse can cause all kinds angst and self doubt!

On another matter, I mentioned in a previous post that I'd got another voucher for my anniversary. Well the only thing I've purchased so far is the new Elbow "B" sides collection "Dead in the Boot". I'll probably add it to to the play list for this blog but I don't intend blogging about it for awhile. I'm deliberately going to put new stuff towards the back of the cue.

No comments:

Post a Comment