Sunday 16 February 2014

David Bowie - The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

Generally speaking, I think David Bowie is a kind of "you had to be there" type of character. To a particular generation of people, predominantly, as far as I can tell, the post punk/New Romantics, his work appears to have had a significant impact and inspired many, Boy George, Duran Duran, Visage, Spandau Ballet, into becoming artists themselves. As someone a little too young to have been into Bowie during this time, he doesn't have quite the same effect on me. Some of his stuff is great but the rest I can do without.

In fairness, this album, which was another whim purchase a year or so ago, leans towards the latter, the fact that it's a concept album is a plus point. I particularly like Starman and, of course, Ziggy Stardust, Mick Ronson's guitar playing is for me, as a casual listener to Bowie but a big guitar fan, one of the highlights here.  Of the slightly less well known songs, to me at least, I like Moonage Daydream.

No comments:

Post a Comment